Who we are
WhAt We do
History of the Friends
The first written record of a library in Newark was in a book of minutes dating from December 14, 1858 to March 18, 1862. The subscription library was called the Newark Library and Literary Association. In 1878 the library was named the Newark Library Association. The library was in a section of Wilbur T. Wilson’s store. Mr. Wilson served as volunteer librarian. In 1932 the Newark Town Library was reorganized and made a free public library instead of a subscription library.
On March 24, 1966, approximately 100 charter members formally organized "Friends of the Newark Free Library" to promote knowledge and understanding of the functions, resources, services and needs of the library; to encourage gifts, endowments, and bequests to the library; and to help the library develop its services and facilities for the Newark community. The Friends still provide financial support as well as countless hours of volunteer labor to the Newark Library to this day.
Friends of the Newark Library Field Day
Speaker Presentation at Annual Brunch
Halloween Parade, October 31 2021
Library of Things Sponsored by Friends
Gov. John Carney checks out the library